Thursday, December 15, 2022

THE SPARROW'S NEST by William Wordsworth

THE SPARROW'S NEST 
by William Wordsworth


Look, five blue eggs are gleaming there!

Few visions have I seen more fair,

Nor many prospects of delight

More pleasing than that simple sight!

I started seeming to espy

The home and shelter'd bed,

The Sparrow's dwelling, which, hard by

My Father's House, in wet or dry,

My Sister Emmeline and I

Together visited.


She look'd at it as if she fear'd it;

Still wishing, dreading to be near it:

Such heart was in her, being then

A little Prattler among men.

The Blessing of my later years

Was with me when a Boy;

She gave me eyes, she gave me ears;

And humble cares, and delicate fears;

A heart, the fountain of sweet tears;

And love, and thought, and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment